The unexpected loss of a loved one can be catastrophic. Not only will one experience significant levels of grief, disbelief, and confusion, but heavy financial burdens can further wreak havoc on a family’s well-being. On top of the costs of a funeral, other costs associated with the loss of a loved one can present themselves, such as expensive medical bills, and even past and future wages lost, which can all create even more difficulties for a grieving family. However, with the assistance of a North Carolina wrongful death attorney, monetary damages can be sought from negligent parties that are responsible, if only partially, for your loved one’s passing.
The loss of a loved one can take its toll in a variety of ways, but there are multiple areas where damages may be paid out to the family members of a wrongful death victim, such as:
- Compensation for loss of wage (including future) resulting from the death
- Compensation for loss of worker’s benefits, such as retirement funds and pensions
- Compensation for funeral expenses and other costs resulting from the death
- Compensation for pain, suffering, and loss of companionship
Even punitive damages can be sought against negligent parties that played a significant role in the wrongful death of a family’s loved one. That is, if monetary compensation is not enough to cover losses associated with the death, and if a party is at least partially responsible for the death as the result of some sort of negligence exhibited, then the negligent party may be held liable for damages that are meant to punish the negligent party, but which consequently aid the loved ones of a decedent at the same time.
Wrongful death incidents can occur in a variety of ways, such as:
- Vehicular accidents caused by cars, trucks, motorcycles or any other motorized conveyance
- Workplace accidents that result from unsafe working conditions, faulty machinery, or any other scenario that was ultimately preventable had business owners or managers not displayed some degree of negligence
- Medical malpractice cases where faulty physician care, misdiagnosis, or improper administering of medication played a significant role in a person’s wrongful death
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents that take place due to dangerous road conditions and the resulting difficulty those conditions pose to motorists, who ultimately lose control of their vehicles; motorist reckless driving practices can also lead to instances of wrongful death
- Defective products, such as common household items that pose a risk to physical well-being and result in loss of life due to some unforeseen danger
- Premises liability issues that result in an innocent person injuring him or herself while on another person’s property that has been improperly maintained and is, consequently, dangerous
While a Raleigh wrongful death lawsuit can never bring a loved one back, it is important that negligent parties that helped cause a negligent death are held responsible for their actions, especially if it means the family of the decedent is put at greater ease through financial compensation that will assist the family in at least recovering monetarily. If you have recently lost a loved one, please don’t hesitate to contact the wrongful death attorneys at Broughton Law Our skilled lawyers will hold negligent parties accountable for their actions, and will see to it that your rights as a grieving family are upheld in a court of law. Call us today at (877) 268-0808 for a free consultation.